How We Are Responding to COVID-19
Since the outbreak of COVID-19, Queens Nassau Rehabilitation & Nursing Center has employed a number of measures recommended by the NYS Department of Health (DOH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to best protect the health and safety of our staff and residents:
- Suspension of visitation: For the safety of our residents and staff, all visitations are suspended as of today March 9, 2020, until further notice.
- Good news. Far Rockaway is cleared of all zones. We continue to take all precautions to protect residents & staff.
- November 18, 2020 – Mayor says we have reached 3% testing positivity 7 day average threshold. He is closing public school buildings.
- As of January 7, 2021 Governor Coumo requires 2/week staff testing.
As of January 12, ’21 – 1 new positive staff covid 19 infection. Resume recounting for 14 days.
CMS shows Queens County Covid 19 infection rate for 14 day period – December 24- January 6, ’20 – is up again at 10.7%. The test classification = ‘RED’ (greater than 10%).
NYC Health Covid 19 data for January 1 – 7, ’21- shows Far Rockaway area at 12.43% positive rate.
We are not ready for in-house visitation. If families want to view their loved ones through the window of the main dining room please call social services to schedule an appointment. Thank you for your patience & understanding.
- As of July 15, 2020, NYSDOH has issued new guidelines and criteria for Nursing Homes to begin the process of limited visitation – preferably in outdoor areas. One is the 28 day ‘all negative rule’.
- Effective September 17, 2020, the facility needs 14 days of ‘all negative’ infections for COVID-19 from residents & staff. Upon the first positive infection, the facility will suspend visitation and recount 14 days of total negative infections.
- Effective September 17, 2020, ALL visitors must show a negative test. Otherwise, visitation MUST be refused.
- Visitors may be asked for ID as needed.
- Staff Wearing a face mask: Healthcare personnel & facility staff shall wear a face mask and gloves while within six feet of residents & one another.
- Limitation of non-emergency offsite appointments: non-medically necessary offsite appointments are canceled to prevent potential for exposure.
- Staff Health check/screening: All individuals are screened upon entrance to the facility by answering designated questions and a physical temperature check. Any adverse response, fever, or cold symptoms will be addressed accordingly and the individual will not be permitted to remain in the building.
- Staff Testing: All staff are being tested for COVID-19.
- Communal dining & Hairdresser services: These services have been suspended as of today March 9, 2020, until further notice.
This facility is a Traumatic Brain Injury unit and most of our residents have a brain injury diagnosis in addition to other co-morbidities. Our residents are very susceptible to the Covid 19 virus and the facility wants to do its best to keep the residents and staff as safe as possible. To this end the facility will employ a 2 tier visitation process:
# 1) a) When the Covid 19 positive infection % rate in the county posted by CMS for the most recent rolling 14 day period is GREATER than 2.5%,
b) and/or the Covid 19 positive infection % rate in the county posted by the NYC Health for the most recent 7 day period is GREATER than 2.5%,
c) and/or if the facility HAS a positive Covid 19 case in staff or residents and is in a 14 day quarantine period.
In these cases the following option of visitation is only permitted:
A) Visitation by resident’s family can be only through the main dining room window. Family members can be outside the window and see their loved ones. Family members are not permitted in the facility and the resident’s are not permitted to go outside to the family members. This will ensure minimization of Covid 19 exposure to everyone.
B) Visits – including WEEKENDS – must be scheduled in advance with Social Work staff only! Please call Monday – Friday to schedule your visit appointment.
C) Maximum 2 visitors allowed at one time for each resident.
D) Maximum 30 minutes per visit.
E) Visitation for medically necessary or end of life services can be arranged through Social Services.
#2) a) When the Covid 19 positive infection % rate in the county posted by CMS for the most recent rolling 14 day period is LESS than 2.5%,
b) and/or the Covid 19 positive infection % rate in the county posted by the NYC Health for the most recent 7 day period is LESS than 2.5%,
c) and/or if the facility does NOT have any positive COVID -19 case in staff or residents.
In these cases the following option of visitation by resident’s family is permitted:
A) outside back patio – preferred area
B) 1st floor dining room – backup area in inclement weather
- Visits including WEEKENDS – must be scheduled in advance with Social Work staff only! Please call Monday – Friday to schedule your visit appointment.
- Any visitor without a PRIOR confirmed appointment will not be permitted to visit.
- Maximum of 3 residents will have visitation scheduled per day (either outside or inside).
- Visiting hours for maximum of 3 residents per day will be scheduled per half hour visits – 1) 2:30 – 3:00pm 2) 3:00pm – 3:30 3) 4:00pm – 4:30pm.
- Maximum 2 visitors allowed at one time for each resident.
- All Visitors will have temperature taken, wear masks, & have health questionnaire filled out and reviewed at the front desk prior to visitation.
- If a visitor answered yes to any questions or has a temperature they will not be allowed to visit.
- All visitors must have a negative test in the past 7 days.
- Maximum 30 minutes per visit.
- No Visitors under 18 years of age unless supervised by an adult 18 years or older.
- Visitors & Residents will be monitored during visits by staff & safely spaced 6 ft. from each other (either in the outdoor back patio visitation area or 1st fl. dining room).
- All Visitors & Residents must wear face masks at all times.
- Social distancing clearly marked on the floor.
- Signage for PPE and hand washing.
- The number of visitors will not exceed 10% of the resident census at any time.
- Visitors that do not comply with all guidelines will be requested to leave.
- The facility will have 14 days of total negative infections from residents & staff.
- Upon the first positive infection, the facility will suspend visitation and recount 14 days of total negative infections. Visitors may be asked for ID as needed.
- Visitation for medically necessary or end of life services can be arranged through Social Services.
Executive Order 202.18 – Notification & Communication to Residents / Families
Queens Nassau Rehab & Nursing Center is committed to providing Residents & their next of kin with novel coronavirus (COVID-19) informational updates posted on our website, nursing units, personal updates via telephone, and a designated call-in Covid-19 extension.
Executive Order 202.18 issued by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on April 19, 2020, states that all nursing homes licensed by the New York State Commissioner of Health shall notify Residents and next of kin if any resident or staff tests positive for COVID-19 or if any resident or staff suffers a COVID-19 related death, within 24 hours of such positive test result or death.
- In accordance with Executive Order 202.18, Queens Nassau will post this information as needed on our website, www.queensnassaurehab.com & on the nursing units. The information will include the number of new COVID-19 positive tests and COVID-19 related expirations’ for the past 24-hour period. We have also established a dedicated extension on our phone system as an additional avenue of communication. Anyone can dial 718-471-7400 ext. 311 to reach our designated COVID -19 Family extension where you can listen to COVID 19 updates. You can also leave messages related to COVID-19 and a staff member will call you back as soon as possible. Queens Nassau Rehab & Nursing Center will continue to be available to family members to respond to any questions you may have. Do not hesitate to contact your Social Worker for assistance and/or in scheduling Audio or Video calls with loved ones.
|Date||January 15, 2021|
|Number of new COVID-19 positive cases||0|
|Number of new COVID-19 related expirations||0|
Please know that we are thinking of you & your family and hope that you remain safe.
See Photos and More Information